Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Contrast:

Two dialogues:

Jehovah: Abraham, take thy son, thine only son whom thou lovest, and offer him as a sacrifice unto me.
Abraham: Thy will be done.

______________________________________
Jehovah: Pharisaint, take thy son, thine only son whom thou lovest, and offer him as a sacrifice unto me.
Pharisaint: I don't feel good about that. That is neither tender nor merciful. I doubt God would ever ask such a thing.
Lucifer: Take thy son and anoint him, call him blessed, and keep him in thy care.
Pharisaint: Now that is tender!
Lucifer: Sacrifice is not needed, for I intend to save all mankind so that not one soul will be lost. The odds are you shall be exalted.
Pharisaint: Now that is merciful!
Lucifer: Yes, I am the god of this world, worship me and there will be nothing but reward to follow.
Pharisaint: Who was that other one asking for sacrifice?
Lucifer: He has been my opponent from the beginning. He has opposed my ever mercy, my ever tenderness, and he pretends to displace me as the god of this world.
Pharisaint: How can such a being, demanding cruel effort, who does not offer tender mercies as you do, ever hope to be worshiped?
Lucifer: He is not. There are some who pretend to do so, but there are none among my chosen, holy Pharisaints who do.