Wednesday, September 1, 2010

2 Nephi 32: 6

2 Nephi 32: 6:

"Behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and there will be no more doctrine given until after he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh. And when he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh, the things which he shall say unto you shall ye observe to do."
 
This is the totality of the matter: the doctrine of Christ.
 
Receive the Comforter and it will tell you what you must do.
 
It will in turn lead you to the Second Comforter. He will then take you further still.
 
What does it mean that Christ "shall manifest Himself unto you in the flesh?" Is this speaking of the time when Christ appeared to the Nephites (3 Nephi 11: 1-41, where He did declare doctrine)?  Or is this speaking of Him appearing to each individual?  (John 14: 23 and D&C 130: 3)  Is it both?
 
What does it mean that "the things which He shall say unto you shall ye observe to do?" What takes primacy - your culture, respected peers, leaders of society or government or church, or the Lord and His sayings? Why?
 
What does it mean that "no more doctrine" will be given until Christ "shall manifest Himself unto you in the flesh?" Was there more doctrine given to later Nephite prophets before Christ appeared in 3rd Nephi?  What about the very next writer-prophet of the Book of Mormon and his testimony of revelation from Christ?  (See Jacob 1: 4, 6Jacob 4: 6; Jacob 7: 5) Was his ministry one that included the Lord "manifesting Himself unto [Jacob] in the flesh?" (See 2 Nephi 11: 3)
 
How and what is to be revealed? Although you may receive Christ "in the flesh," does it mean you may tell others all things you learn as a result? Or are you constrained and limited in what and how you measure to others? Who decides what is appropriate to include in your testimony, you or the Lord? (Alma 12: 9-10)
 
If "what He shall say unto you shall ye observe to do," then what of criticism? What of those who will not accept your testimony? What if your testimony of Christ is dismissed as merely your "claims?" What if things done in meekness and humility are misconstrued and said instead to be done to get notice and popularity? Should you expect to be without criticism?
 
What does it mean that "the things which he shall say unto you shall ye observe to do?" Does it mean others will even understand why you do what you do? Does it mean it will be welcomed? Does it mean you will have some credential the world will recognize? Or will only those who hear the Master's voice respond? (John 10: 27) If it is the Master's voice which should be heard, then how do you avoid introducing your own voice in His place? What if the words are a rebuke or warning? Should you hesitate? (3 Nephi 30: 1-2)
 
If you only have your testimony to offer, how likely is it to be persuasive in this world where rank, position, acclaim and popularity define influence? What if, as Bob Dylan penned: "All I got is this red guitar, three chords and the truth." What then? Is the truth resilient enough to endure in this hurricane of deceit and worldliness? It will, even if only with a few.
 
At your core, you love and respect Jesus Christ. When given the choice before your were born, you accepted and agreed to follow Him. That is why you are here. If you followed Him then, you ought to be willing to follow Him now. If you can find Him. I believe that anyone who can find the Master's words, no matter how unlikely a source by which they come, will follow them. The only means authorized to declare them is through persuasion, gentleness, meekness, love and pure knowledge. (D&C 121: 41.)  As it turns out, that is enough. Those who have kept the Light of Christ shining within them will recognize His voice.  (John 10: 27.)

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic.

    For a time in my life I felt like I had to persuade others about the truth,and "sale" it. I realize I had it right on my mission, that is...
    Stay close to the Spirit, and those that WANT to hear will hear,and those that do not will not.

    I feel more and more that I need to give my time to those who are fellow seekers of Christ (light).

    I meet a man in church this past Sunday, we gravitated to each other because he mentioned a few topics I love (calling election, Remnant People and Gentiles). He is around 90, and I felt he has labored most or all of his life without hardly anyone (his family thinks hes out there) hearing him or believing him. He spoke of experiences of his Grandfather had with a Angel, and a mission to the Japanese. He had more he wanted to share, but was still amazed I wanted to hear. We will be talking next week.

    I feel there are many messengers on missions, and the Lord will bring them all in to ONE someday, and that the only way we will know that they are True Messengers is if we have the Spirit, and Hear HIS Voice through them.

    I noticed that as I stay close to the Spirit, that if its someone I really need to share with, its almost like I cant stop myself. The Truth seeks the Truth, and when like minds/intelligence meet,it flows.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing" was recently presented at our Stake Conference. It made me think what would these praises be like if we mixed in some latter day teachings and truth. Here is one attempt:

    Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
    How I’ll sing Thy sovereign Grace
    Thou art clothed in Love and Mercy
    Bring me to thy glorious place
    Jesus sought me when a stranger,
    Wandering from the fold of God;
    He, to snatch me from all danger,
    Bought me by His precious blood.


    Who can speak of all thy goodness?
    Can Thou love one, such as me
    Thou are Great and Everlasting
    Touch my eyes that I may see
    Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
    Prone to leave the God I love;
    Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
    Seal it here and courts above.


    Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
    Prone to leave the God I love;
    Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
    Seal it here and courts above.
    Prove me once, O Lord I listen
    Prove again , I won’t depart
    Let thy angels come descending
    Love thee Lord with all my heart



    Come from Heaven in these last days
    Save my soul from death and sin
    Help me learn Light so that I may
    In thy presence enter in
    Prove me once, O Lord I listen
    Prove again , I won’t depart
    Let thy angels come descending
    Love thee Lord with all my heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, you said that if its someone I really need to share with, its almost like I cant stop myself. I've had that experience myself, in fact I mentioned it to a son yesterday. He mentioned that perhaps it's like the flow of intelligence that Joseph mentioned.

    AK, thanks for the verses.

    ReplyDelete

What Say You?